You ate yourself out of house and home – Got the Jimmy Legs

You ate yourself out of house and home

I took an actual sick day for the first time in years. Sure, many a time have I stayed home ill, only to end up working as much as usual thanks to the magic of VPN. And I intended to do the same yesterday, my laptop all set up and retrieving email after email. But I just couldn't stay focused long enough to do anything, so I went back to bed and proceeded to sleep for 7 hours.

I can't tell yet if I'm over the illness, which had no symptoms other than 'exhaustion.' I kind of suspect stress had something to do with it but that doesn't really narrow it down much; stress is pretty central to living in New York. Not that I mind it most of the time, but there's the stress of jamming onto a subway car to 'win' a good seat, and then there's the stress of producing corporate websites whose target audience may or may not exist. Plus meanwhile, all around me people have been getting laid off left and right. My morale is soaring.

Today I'll go into pay the piper, to catch up on all the work I missed yesterday as well as whatever they throw at me today. This double-whammy effect is what usually keep me in the office no matter my condition, but I'm hoping that my time out yesterday will have some positive attitudinal effect. Maybe I won't mind all the work if I'm feelin' positive! Yeah

7 Comments

1. Al in Athens
    Posted January 31, 2009 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

"…thanks to the magic of [Very Pleasant Neighbor]" ?!
    ?!
    -Al

2. Anonymous
    Posted February 1, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

yeah what does VPN mean?

3. Sean
    Posted February 2, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Yeah, Al is right, Very Pleasant Neighbor. Didn't that band have the honor of rockin' out with Planet of Pants once?

Seriously though, as for being sick, get a blood test.
    As a vegetarian, you may not be getting enough B vitamins, especially B12, or iron. Vitamin D, too, is only from animal products. We synthesize vitamin D from cholesterol in a reaction in the skin that depends on UV radiation, which is in short supply this time of year.

You could have picked up a parasite in Singapore.

4. Jimmy Legs
    Posted February 2, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

1. Virtual Private Network, allows one to connect to a corporate network remotely.
    2. i take the damn vitamins! it was more likely existential dread.

5. Sean
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Are you sure it's not a parasite?

6. Sean
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Maybe you have a tumor

7. sylvia
    Posted February 3, 2009 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

chris, i felt the same way about a month and a half ago – the only symptom being exhausted. it's called "the slugs", that's what buzz mckinnon called it anyway…