Here's something sort of not cat related! I use my digital camera a lot (mostly for taking photos of cats, yes). But I treat it horribly. I never use a camera bag and I generally just let it bang around in my stachel-bag. Consequently it's all banged up. That's fine, as it was all cosmetic damage. But a little while ago I scratched the LCD screen, which created lines across the viewable area. This was annoying but did impede the functioning of the camera. So in my leisure I investigated how I might replace it.
First I checked with Canon, but amazingly enough they have no service offices in New York City (lame). And the thought of shipping it off somewhere seemed like a recipe for blowing a buncha dough for what seemed to me to be a simple swap job. So I decided to do it myself.
I found a cheap replacement LCD kit on eBay, it even comes with a small screwdriver and plastic prybar. I had mistakenly ordered an LCD backlight from somebody else, so I had a full replacement if need be.
I googled a couple of how-to guides but I couldn't find anything about my specific model. So I went with the instructions from some other Canon camera, assuming it couldn't be much different. Wrong! I took the camera apart, separated the LCD-backlight assembly, separated the LCD from the back light, and yanked out the LCD ribbon-tape plug. Easy!
I got out the new LCD and slipped it into the backlight (which has its own, tinier ribbon-wire plug). With some difficulty I got the new LCD plugged in, but I was having trouble getting the two parts to play nice together and fold back down into position. The ribbon wire allowed limited movement of the component and unbeknownst to me it got caught under the housing for the screen. When I tried to put it all flat on the camera body, the wire broke. Hard!
Lucky for me, I had been dumb enough to buy a replacement backlight, so I swapped this in. But the plug was super small and I could not for the life of me figure out how to get it into the socket. I gave up and started researching camera repair shops. But I turned to the Internet once more and found somebody who had my same model. He mentioned in passing that the way to re-attach the plug involved lifting up a tiny clip on the opposite site of the socket. Jesus.
I got the plug in and the tiny clip back down and got the camera back together. Success! What a pain in the ass. So it cost me $60 to replace it, all told. I have to assume that's cheaper than having somebody who knows what they're doing do it. I have to!